Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Fear of the Lord

Over the past several weeks I have been learning a lot about “the fear of the Lord.”  For years I’ve heard the verse, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom…” (Psalm 111:10, Proverbs 9:10), but I really never had a full revelation of that verse until recently.

I was having dinner with a good friend a couple months back and we were talking about some things that God has said to us.  One thing that God told my friend, is that, “You’re not gonna like hell.” Now if that right there doesn’t put the fear of God in you, then I don’t know what will.  And I believe that God was telling me the same thing through this friend, “You’re not gonna like hell.”  Then about a week or so later on April 26, my friend Terre Brown was speaking on the Sunday evening program about how God dealt with her heart regarding sin. And I knew God was speaking to me again that it is possible for me to go to hell for sins I’ve committed, if I don’t change. (I would recommend and encourage everyone to watch this video below, starting at about 17:30).



Jesus tells us who to fear.

Luke 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

And again in Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

In Romans it says that, “The wages of sin is death,” and also that “…whatsoever is not faith is sin” (Romans 14:23, Romans 6:23).

After I read those two passages from Luke and Matthew, I started to understand what having the fear of God meant.  God was convincing me of my sins, and that I could go to hell.  God started working on my heart and I started making some changes immediately. 

The next verse that God quickened to me was Psalm 130:3-4, “If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.”  

Romans 3:23 says “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.”  If you say that you haven’t sinned, then you’re a liar and deceiving yourself (1 John 1: 8, 10). 

Psalm 111:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Psalm 112:1 Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.

Having the fear of the Lord means doing the things which God has commanded you to do.  And if you don’t, you could go to hell.  You don’t want to disobey God because, “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God (Hebrews 10:31).” Once you get a true revelation of the fear of the Lord, then you will have the wisdom to know that if you continue a life of sin and rebellion, He could send you to hell.  One of the scariest verses that was revealed to me is, “God is not a respecter a persons.” You can find that several times in the New Testament. Don’t ever think you’ll automatically miss hell just because you go to church on Sundays or that you’ve been attending church your whole life.  It doesn’t matter who you are, or what position you hold, you do not want to disobey God.

Read Luke16:19-31 (click to read) about the rich man in hell. 

Now I’m not sharing this to condemn or judge anyone. I’m sharing this because I’ve experienced this myself and hopefully people will see that being a Christian is not game. It’s not a part-time job. It’s a way of life.   You can’t just do whatever you want to do and call it God.  I’ve learned this over the past couple years, and especially the past couple months.

Jesus said in Luke 9:23, …If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

So, how do you get out of a life of sin? How do you take up your cross daily?  Repent of your old ways, and believe the gospel.  The gospel is how that Christ died for our sins, he was buried and that he rose again the third day (1 Corinthians 15:3, 4).  You have to believe the gospel EVERY DAY and in everything you do.  

Romans 10:9 Confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead and you will be saved.

Luke 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

You have to WANT to be delivered, you have to WANT to believe. It’s not going to be easy at first, but you have to use your will and endeavor to believe.  You may not see any changes immediately, but never stop believing. Humble yourselves and let God convince you and purge you of your sins. No it’s not fun, and sometimes it’s quite painful, but I can assure you it is better than going to hell.

Hebrews 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

You are never too far away from God. No matter what you've done or what sin you have committed, as long as you have a breath in your mouth you can still be saved.  All you have to do is say the name “Jesus.”

Read this account in Luke15 (click to read) about two sons.

John 6:37 …and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Hebrews 13:5, 6 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Call on the name of Jesus and you will be saved.  Call on that name and he will in no wise cast you out. Call on that name and he will never leave you, fail you, or forsake you.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

That name is JESUS.


God Bless

(I'll say this again: I strongly recommend and highly encourage everyone to watch the video at the top of this post and watch the video from our Sunday night program on April 26, 2015).

No comments :

Post a Comment